Thursday, June 12, 2008

My new quest

So I'm not up to date on the rules of blogging so I'm not quite sure if posting another blog mere hours after your very first one is kosher, however I have literally just come across that new and shiny object that has mind completely fixated.

To preface, I love beer. Not your typical American mass produced liquid swill in a can such as Bud Light or Coors Lite. I love the microbrewery type of beer, the kind of beer that isn't made for the city league softball players or high school keg parties. No, the lagers, ales, stout's, porters, pale's, etc etc crafted by the smaller, more quality focused breweries are what I drink. Yes, I realize this makes me a beer snob. I don't care. When you can begin to look past the label and use not only your sense of taste, but sense of smell as well, you will understand. When you begin to care about the type of hops used or if the barley was malted properly, then you have become that beer snob as well. And I gotta tell you, it has made drinking beer that much more enjoyable.

Now onto this quest I am trying to undertake. Living in Europe has exposed me to some of the worlds greatest beers, in particular the Trappist beers of Belgium. The ales are brewed by the monks of these Abbey's and are often regarded as some of the finest in the world. One in particular however, the most exclusive in fact, has me searching for a way to obtain it. To give you an idea of how awesome this beer is, you must call and make a reservation to purchase 1 case. 1 case people, not several, not a truck load. So exclusive is this beer that the monks have decreed that only one case per car may be sold. I have been trying to call and find out how to place my order for 2 hours now. I have been on hold for 2 hours.

The name of the beer by the way is Westvleteren 12. If you're a beer connoisseur like myself, you'll immediately recognize this as the Holy Grail of beers. It was rated the best beer in the world last year. Now do you understand how obtaining 1 case of this is often worthy of monuments built? No matter though, it will be mine. Some of you may be thinking that I am a bit overdramatic about all of this. Shut yur pie holes. Westvleteren 12 people. Not some craptastic keystone or natty light. If the Pope drank beer, he'd be drinking Westvletern 12. If it's good enough for the Pope, it's good enough for all of us.

Wish me luck

1 comment:

EJ Chang said...

I am SO glad you have joined the world of blogging! With a post like that, you are well on your way to being an all-star blogger!

I just started drinking beer recently, and the only one that i enjoy is Dos Equis, with lots and lots of limes. I'm a light weight.