Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Father's Day

Once again we've arrived at the day where we pay homage to our fathers. All around the nation, ez-boys are oiled up, fridge's are stocked with beers and steaks, and grills are prepped for men to practice what is genetically embedded in their very XY chromosomes.

We, the children, will wake our father's up with cards and phone calls, well wishes and maybe even a "thanks for being the most kick-ass dad in the world". I can admit I didn't say this last bit in my younger years, however time, maturity, and experiencing the real world has only proven the lessons my father tried to teach me were accurate.

So here's to my father. A father of 3 young men, faithful and loving husband, United States Marine, and the single most important influence in my life. I didn't always listen to your words of wisdom and sometimes tough love was necessary. You were always there for me after I'd fallen though, and helped me become the man I am today. No doubt I could have done more to be a better son, but you did all you could and more to be the greatest father a man could ask for. One day I will have kids of my own and I hope that I can say that I've raised them as well as you raised me.

Happy Fathers Day dad, thanks for being the most kick-ass dad in the world.

3 comments:

Mike said...

amen to all that

Maggie said...

Don't I get any credit for marrying him and birthing you?

Maggie said...

No father ever had finer sons. I am very proud of your collective accomplishments, and your three birthdays, along with our wedding anniversary, will always be the four most important days in my life. More to follow via snail-mail, in a separate letter to each of you. Much love-- Dad